Tuesday, March 15, 2011


Like so many adoptive parents, waiting is such a difficult process. Having virtually no control over whether the phone rings today, next week, or many months from now is a hard one to sit with. Wait, wait, wait.

I imagine there are people who are laid back and just go on with their lives until they get the magical call. Unfortunately, I am definitely not one of those people. I don't like to think of myself as obsessive, but I have always obsessed about the adoption process (both with Maggie and now this adoption). It's funny because most people would see Lisa as the control freak--or the one who needs to control what is happening in her life. The truth on this one is that I obsess about it all the time, and Lisa is much more relaxed about it.

I wonder, is there something I could be doing to help us build our family? A lot of the time I must feel like there is since I troll the web about adoption stuff pretty regularly. Other times I think the right baby will find us on its own time-table. That was certainly the case with Maggie--a brutal, 18 month wait---but, oh so worth the wait. Or, I think God has a plan for us, and it won't matter what I do and don't do, so I should stop thinking about it.

Tonight I am running the first adoption support group for people who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender (LGBT) for my job --I also opened it up to straight people who are adopting, but I am not sure if they will come). I certainly know how lonely the adoption wait can be, so I am hoping others will come so we can share our experiences together, and give each other support and tips to help each of us through this process. 

Other than that, I am feeling stuck in the mud today. No pictures yet from the photo shoot. No new draft of our website. Nothing happening with us from the agency today. Nothing that I know of happening on the adoption front. And that is the thing--you never know when something might be happening and you don't even know it!

In closing, today has been a great afternoon with Maggie. We came home from school and she was able to read a 30 page book quickly and without any help from me (this is a big hooray!). Then she decided she was going to make a fruit salad for a healthy snack--she put in everything but the kitchen sink, and covered herself in it as she ate it. Now we are heading off to karate before my group tonight.

Take care if you are out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment